Sensitive Documents That Need Shredding

Sensitive documents

see related

First, know what a sensitive document is:

Anything with your social security number, bank or credit card numbers, medical records or forms of ID are sensitive documents. Items with just your name, address and phone number are not sensitive. Magazines, newspapers, and junk mail can be safely recycled whole in your household’s recycling bin or cart. Whole sheets of paper make for higher quality recycling.

Examples of what ARE considered sensitive documents include: tax returns, mortgage applications, bank statements, photocopies of credit cards or drivers' licenses, credit reports, and medical records.

Examples of items that are NOT considered "sensitive documents" (and will NOT be shredded) are: magazines, junk mail, greeting cards, envelopes, newspapers, and telephone books.

Options for handling sensitive documents - 

1. Recycle in Your Bin or Cart:
Keep sensitive papers intact, but cut out or black out sensitive numbers before recycling. Recycle these papers in your bin or cart at home.

- or - 

2. Keep out of Landfill via Special Program:
If your city or town is listed below, click on its name to see paper for shredding instructions for its residents. Statewide options that are open to anyone are also listed below. Fees may apply. RIRRC does not recommend any one business or organization over another.

This item follows the basic rule for fiber recycling in your bin/cart (it’s paper, cardboard, or a carton). Paper and cardboard must be flat. Cartons must be empty at a minimum, but rinsed whenever possible. Plastic caps (on cartons) can go back onto their plastic spouts.

City/Town Resident Options:
Statewide Options: